I’m told the earlier attachment didn’t work for some of you, so here’s the text of the new House Amendment 3 to SB 1342 filed today by Rep. Zalewski.
Strengthening Illinois Gun Laws
SB 1342 (Zalewski)
This legislation will increase minimum sentencing for repeat offenders and unlawful gun owners. It strictly addressed the most serious gun crimes and requires serving 85% of the imposed sentences. The legislation has been amended based on the newly effective Firearm Concealed Carry Act (7/9/13).
- UUW by felons or people in DOC custody (Probationers, Parolees, Mandatory Supervised Release)
- Currently a Class 3 felony for the 1st offense and mandatory imprisonment of 2-10 years
- Subsequent offenses and violation by parolees are Class 2 felonies with mandatory sentences of 3-14 years
Will remain a Class 3 felony with mandatory imprisonment of 3-10 years ; subsequent offenses will remain Class 2 felonies with mandatory 4-14 year sentences
- Aggravated UUW (as amended under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act)
- Currently, if the weapon is in close proximity, loaded, and the offender does not have a FOID, it is a Class 4 felony. A 2nd or subsequent offense is a Class 2 felony a mandatory 3-7 year imprisonment.
- Will remain a Class 4 felony with a 1 year minimum for the 1st offense. Subsequent offenses will be Class 2 felonies with a 4-10 year imprisonment.
- Unlawful Possession of a Firearm by a Streetgang Member
- Currently, a Class 2 felony with a mandatory prison sentence of 3-10 year
- Will remain a Class 2 felony, but require a mandatory 4-10 years in prison
- Boot Camp
- County Boot Camp is not authorized for Unlawful Possession of a Firearm by a Streetgang Member or Unlawful Possession of a Firearm by Felons or People in DOC Custody offenses.
These offenses will be added to 730 ILCS 5/3-6-3(a)(2) following (vii), Rules and Regulations for Sentence Credit. The section requires service of 85% of sentenced time.
SB 1342 (Zalewski)
This bill increases prison sentences for the worst gun offenses and requires the offenders serve at least 85% of the sentence. The legislation has been amended based on the newly effective Firearm Concealed Carry Act (7/9/13).
Penalties are increased for:
- UUW by felons or people in custody of DOC to a minimum of 4 years and a minimum of 5 years for subsequent offenses
- AUUW + no FOID card with a minimum of 4 years for the 2nd offense
- Unlawful possession by a streetgang member up from 3 years to a minimum of 4 years
The Truth in Sentencing/85% service requirement is imposed on:
- UUW by felons or in DOC custody
- AUUW (no FOID and CCL)
- Unlawful possession by a streetgang member
Boot Camp is not permitted for the Unlawful Possession offenses.